Tuesday, June 2, 2009

New Orleans

This week I am in New Orleans for work. I forgot my camera which makes me so mad, but I have been trying to capture some photos with my blackberry. There is so much to see and enjoy here. Once I get home I will download the pics and post them.

I am shocked and saddened by the obvious aftermath of Katrina. The despair is still so evident everywhere you turn. As I was driving to one of the branches yesterday, I had to go on the highway by the Superdome. There was all sorts of litter along the sides and all I could think about was the images that were splashed across our televisions of the all the families stuck there trying to make their way to the already crowded Superdome. I literally got chills.

Today, I talked to the manager at the branch and she was telling me about her experience during that devastating time. She told me that they waited until the last minute to leave primarily due to the lack of funds. In addition to that, she had to beg her Aunt to leave. Unfortunately, her Aunt ended up losing everything. You could see in her face and hear in her voice what a traumatic experience it must have been. My heart went out to her. She also said that her whole family dread hearing that there is a storm coming in on June 1. Luckily, it was a nice day here yesterday. It has rained all afternoon today, but thankfully, no storm.

Look for pictures when I get home at the end of the week. They will make us all more thankful for the things in our life.

No comments: